Contact A Family
Contact a Family supports families with disabled children across the UK. Whatever the condition, whenever they need us, wherever they are.
We provide information, advice and support. We bring families together so they can support each other. We campaign to improve their circumstances, and for their right to be included and equal in society.
One in 20 children are born with a disability and almost all are cared for at home by their families. Contact a Family is here for all of them.
- We have a national freephone helpline staffed by expert advisers who can advise on education, benefits, getting a diagnosis and sources of help.
- We provide up to date medical information on over 400 health conditions and disabilities, including rare conditions.
- We connect families in their local communities at family events and parent workshops.
- We help families find the best local support networks.
- We support families to make a difference locally through our work with parent carer forums.
- We campaign to end the poverty, disadvantage and isolation experienced by families with disabled children across the UK and raise awareness of these issues.
“Contact a Family is delighted to be lead partner of the SEND Consortium. As an organisation we are passionate about strengthening families. We know with the right support, that families with disabled children can thrive. SENDirect makes it easier for families to find support services for their child, and enables them to influence services online. Involving parents and carers in the design and delivery of services, results in better outcomes for children and young people, we hope SENDirect will open up the opportunity for more families to influence better outcomes for their children through using the service.”
Amanda Batten, CEO