We can help you find the right support, services and information for your family

Categories in Advice, support, participation & training

In ‘Advice, support, participation and training’ you’ll find resources and support for families of disabled children. Things like:

- Advice surgeries and helplines: where you can access advice that will help you navigate the SEN, Social Care, Health and Welfare System, and find support for your child.

- Support groups and family clubs where you can meet and share experiences with other families.

- Parent Carer Forums; where you can join other parents in influencing what services are available locally.

- Training and information resources

SENDirect is new and growing daily, if you don’t find what you are looking for right away, let us know what you are looking for here & we’ll put a call out on social media, as well as asking our contacts to help you find it. Or you can tweet us at @SENDirectnews for help with your search.

Families who consulted with us on what to include here had children with Cystic Fibrosis, Cerebral Palsy, Fragile X, Autistic Spectrum Disorders, mobility needs, Pathological Demand Avoidance, and Anaphylaxis.

  • Advocacy services

    Local organisations that can offer support if you are having issues with things your child has a right to recieve.

  • Benefits advice

    Your local advice givers.

  • Children's Centres

    Your local children's centre

  • Crisis support

    Support your family can access in an emergency.

  • Family clubs

    Clubs for the whole family to enjoy and meet other families as well.

  • Family support

    Services that can support your family in the ways you need.

  • Financial advice

    For services offering advice around family finance, or personal budget or direct payment advice

  • Grant services

    Grant giving bodies who may be able to offer support in certain circumstances and for specific needs. Money you can apply for to support your family.

  • Helpline

    Support, advice and information available on the telephone

  • Housing advice

    Your local advice givers.

  • Independent Supporters

    Find your local Independent Supporter

  • Information

    Services offering information that supports families.

  • Information Advice and Support Services (IASS)

    IAS Services have a duty to provide information, advice and support to disabled children and young people, and those with SEN, and their parents. They are statutory services which means there has to be one in every local authority. Formerly known as Parent Partnership Services.

  • Keyworking

    Specific support for your family

  • Legal advice

    Your local advice givers.

  • Local Offer

    The link to your Local Offer

  • Mediation services

    Mediation services available for parents, carers or young people to advice/help/assist them with disagreements about how the needs of their child or the young person are being met.

  • Outreach

    Local organisations looking for families to support.

  • Parent Carer Forums

    Get together with other families to influence change in your area.

  • Parent groups

    Groups for parents to get together to share experiences, support each other and make friends.

  • School advice

    Your local advice givers.

  • Services for professionals

    Services and resources for professionals who are working with the families of children and young people with additional needs.

  • Social groups

    Get together with people who know what you are going through and can offer mutual support and things to do together

  • Support for victims of abuse

    Support for those who have experienced or witnessed abuse

  • Siblings groups

    Groups for siblings of children and young people with additonal needs - places where they can share their own experiences and make friends.

  • Support groups

    Local groups that could be condition or disability specific or simply somewhere to talk to people.

  • Training

    Providers offering training for parent carers or professionals.

  • Young Carers services

    Groups, activities and support for young carers

  • Fostering and adoption services

    Services supporting the fostering or adoption of children with disabilities.

Back to all categories